Wednesday, May 9, 2012

On a somewhat unrelated note...

I haven't blogged in a long time. I've been working a lot on my project,and it's kind of hard to bring myself back to the 1950s and 60s after being completely immersed in Nazi Germany for so long. In retrospect, I've been doing a lot of things that creep me out lately. I watched this really weird Ryan Gosling movie (only because it had Ryan Gosling in it, yes, I admit it, so there's no need to judge) called All Good Things and not only did it kind of ruin him as an actor for me, I made a lot of parallels between Gosling's character and Oswald.

So, first, a quick plot summary of this movie: All Good Things is based on the true story of that notorious missing person's case in New York history about that real estate tycoon who is accused but never put on trial for murdering his wife. Ryan Gosling plays David Marks, the heir to this real estate dynasty, and Kirsten Dunst plays his really cute wife. Basically, David Marks suffered some really horrible childhood experiences and so he's kind of messed up in the head, so eventually his marriage falls to pieces and probably -- but not for sure -- kills his wife. Anyway. It wasn't even that good of a movie, but it was creepy, and I ended up sleeping on my parent's floor.

Moving on. I started watching it because it was recommended for me on Netflix, which definitely should not have happened and I will be sending the Netflix team a stern letter when I get around to it. (It's also partially my fault, because the picture they put with the title was of Ryan Gosling shirtless, so how can you resist) Regardless, the movie started off well enough, and I was pretty engaged, but then things started to get weird. Gosling has this really sinister sort of emotionless way of acting that's really mysterious and probably why so many women think he's attractive, but in this movie it was definitely falling more on the sinister side and not on the attractive side. He kept doing these really weird half smiles that weren't really smiles, and I was trying to remember where I had seen or heard about someone doing that before, but I didn't make the connection until later.

But it kept on bugging me, and I was really annoyed with it -- or maybe I was just annoyed at Kirsten Dunst because she was really exhibiting any kind of girl power and Ryan Gosling was just being creepy so there was really no reason to watch the film anymore. But it was a mystery and I had to know what happened at the end so I kept watching. I continued to not make any sort of connection, until this one part, after Gosling's character had done something despicable and his wife is confused and outraged -- I don't remember what the exact event was, I've kind of blocked most of it from my memory -- but she says, "I've never been closer to anyone, and I don't know you at all." And something in my brain just clicked, and I was like, "HEY! Oswald's wife says basically the same thing about him!" And it's true, she does! We talked about it a lot!

So I was super excited for about a minute, as I subsequently made the connection about the facial expression thing as well. Then I realized it just made me feel even more uncomfortable, because I don't really like how Oswald is described in Libra, and I didn't really like Gosling in this movie. I can't really decide if I'm supposed to be pitying either of them, or feeling sympathy for them? Because I don't, none at all. Sometimes a bit of mystery can be attractive, but when you start dressing up like a woman and killing your apartment building neighbors (that actually happened, but he was acquitted because it was apparently done in "self defense"), it definitely stops. (Killing presidents can also put a bit of a damper on your overall date-ability.)

Overall, this blog post isn't really that worthwhile. But I think both those guys are pretty creepy, and I just thought I'd share. I mean, they even look eerily similar...


1 comment:

Mitchell said...

There's something to be said for a character (partly or entirely fictional) who can get under a reader's skin in this way--for an author or filmmaker's ability to depict someone who's both compelling and deeply unnerving at the same time. We probably need to expand our vocabulary for talking about fictional characters beyond "like" and "dislike"--there's a vast grey area in between, and as Lee tells Ferrie, he's all "grey area"!

(And in ref. to your comments about Gosling's attractiveness luring you into watching this movie, I did, in my searches for some of the Oswald photos DeLillo uses, come across a blog that is devoted--in disturbing detail--to the idea that Oswald is a total hottie. She (I'm pretty sure the author is a she) scrutinizes pictures of him in Russia with his various girlfriends, his smirky defiant arrest photos, even the freaking autopsy pictures! Don't look it up--it might keep you up at night again . . .)